GULLY EROSION REMEDIATION
Neilly Group Engineering are industry leaders in the development of engineering design solutions to tackle the problem of gully erosion within the Great Barrier Reef catchments in Queensland. Neilly Group Engineering have unparalleled experience in the design of gully erosion remediation solutions for Natural Resource Management (NRM) groups that execute the Reef Trust Gully Erosion Control Programme, which is funded by the Australian Government. This programme aims to reduce or manage fine sediment erosion from gullies in Reef catchments, which is regarded as one of the highest water quality risks to the Great Barrier Reef.
Neilly Group Engineering have applied our expertise in gully erosion management and remediation for gully remediation projects located on grazing and agricultural properties for NRM groups including Cape York NRM, Terrain NRM, NQ Dry Tropics, Greening Australia, Catchment Solutions and the Fitzroy Basin Association in catchments ranging from the Normanby River basin in Cape York to the Fitzroy River basin in Central Queensland.
Our approach to the remediation of gully erosion includes:
- Minimal intervention solutions (pragmatic and relatively low-cost options), such as cattle exclusion fencing, porous check dams and revegetation.
- Engineering intervention solutions such as:
- rock chute design and accompanying overland flow management bunds or contour banks for remediation of linear gully erosion; and
- reshaping and capping for remediation of large-scale alluvial gully erosion.
- Construction support and quality assurance of engineering solutions, including Chartered Professional Engineer/Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland certification of designs and as-constructed works.